Happy Chocolate Tuesday!
And yes, you read that right. Sweet pea brownies. It’s no typo. There’s sweet peas in these brownies. And you won’t even taste them. There’s also cherry jam in them. You will taste that. And you can totally eat them for breakfast. It’s what I did the other day.
Now, did I mention that they’re super easy to make, with ingredients you probably have on hand already? And you can absolutely fake the chocolate ganache on top. So what are you waiting for?
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 cup sweet peas
- ½ cup cherry jam
- ½ cup unsweetened dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp rum
Preheat oven to 180C/350F
Mix all dry ingredients together.
Blend all wet ingredients until smooth. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix till just combined.
Pour batter into a baking tin. (I use a 9×6 inch glass oven dish)
Bake for 25 minutes. Leave to cool for ten minutes or so – if you can.
Spread your favourite vegan “nutella” on top, then sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- I use my homemade gluten free flour blend, but you can use any store-bought or homemade flour blend you like. Mine does not have xanthan gum in it, but using a flour blend with xanthan gum won’t hurt.
- I used dried sweet peas which I cooked in my Instant Pot, but frozen or canned peas will work just fine.
- If you don’t have a neutral cooking oil, you can even use olive oil. It won’t impact the taste negatively. I know, because I’ve done it.
- You can replace the booze with some non-alcoholic liquid, though I can’t fathom why anyone would want to do that.
These brownies won’t be moist and gooey, because I like my brownies to have a more cake-like texture. If you want gooey and moist, there’s two things you can do: add more liquid and/or shorten the baking time.