Simple, tasty and easy to make. One of my favourite desserts.
For the filling
- 3 or 4 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 tbsp clear liquid (water, booze, rose water)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon or cardamom
For the crumble
- 1 cup gluten free flour mix
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup cold butter or vegan margarine (might need a little more)
- ½ cup sugar
Preheat oven to 180C/350F
Toss apples with sugar, spices and liquid in a baking dish.
Put flour, oats and sugar in a bowl. Slice in butter and rub it with your fingertips into the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add more butter if needed.
Cover apple filling with the dough and place in oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden on top.
Serve warm with (vegan) cream or custard.
- To save time and effort, leave the skins on the apples.
- Use rhubarb instead of apples, or any other fruit you like.
- Spoon a handful of chocolate chips or chopped nuts into the crumble mixture.